First Lieutenant Edward Hines, Jr.
Lieutenant Hines was born in Chicago, Ill on July 24, 1896. He was educated in the public schools and graduated from Philips Academy. He then entered Yale University, taking up the Sheffield Scientific Course, and was in his second year when he entered First Officers’ Training Camp at Fort Sheridan, where he was assigned to the Third Company. Upon receiving a commission as second lieutenant he was ordered to the 4th Machine Gun Battalion, Gettysburg, Pa., sailing with that outfit for France on December 24, 1917.
After a few months’ service overseas Lieutenant Hines was promoted to a first lieutenancy. In May, 1918 he was taken ill, the sickness later developed into pneumonia. He was transferred to Base Hospital No. 15 where he steadily grew worse and died on June 4th. He was unmarried. His parents, Mr. and Mrs. Edward Hines, of 1456 Ridge Avenue, Evanston, Ill., survive him. His Father was president of the Edward Hines Lumber Co.
Hines VA Hospital was named after Edward Hines, Jr., son of the land donor for the hospital. 1st Lt. Edward Hines, Jr. died while serving in France during World War 1. Edward Hines, Sr. made the honorary name designation a condition of the land deal for the government's new Chicago-area veterans hospital for World War 1 veterans.
On October 24, 1921, Treasury Secretary Andrew Mellon issued the official order that renamed Public Health Hospital No. 76 as the Edward Hines, Jr. hospital. The Public Health Service (part of Treasury) was tasked by Congress in 1918 with providing hospitals, sanitariums, and medical care to World War 1 veterans. The first consolidation of government veterans services resulted in the transfer of Public Health Service veterans hospitals to the newly created Veterans Bureau in 1922. In 1930, those hospitals became part of the Veterans Administration when the second consolidation of government veterans services took place.