Move! Tips and Recipes
Tip: Have you ever noticed that when you go out to eat the serving of pasta is much larger than what you would give yourself at home?
- Portion distortion is perceiving large portion sizes as appropriate amounts to eat at a single eating occasion.
- Portion distortion is encountered almost everywhere food is sold:
- restaurants, food stands, grocery stores, movie theatres
- ballparks, vending machines
- Almost everyone is affected because we all must eat!
- Portion distortion or increases portion sizes leads to:
- Obesity & obesity-associated chronic diseases like
- Kidney disease.
How to not fall into portion distortion:
- Eat at home!
- You’re in control of the menu, the ingredients, preparation method, and the portion sizes.
- When going out to eat follow these tips:
- Request “no added salt”
- Request to have your food cooked “dry” = no oil
- Order your vegetables steamed
- Order the lunch portion
- Request sauces and dressing to be served on the side
- Don’t be afraid to ask how the food is prepared!
return to top