Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Central Blind Rehabilitation Center Recreation
Hines Blind Center Veterans at National Veterans TEE Tournament.
Recreational Activities for Blind Veterans
Theatre, concerts, golf, baseball and basketball games with famous Chicago ball clubs. Chaperoned scuba activities, courtyard barbeques, bowling. City of Chicago museum and boat-tour day trips. Hines Blind Rehab Center ensures there is no shortage of recreational activities to participate in.
Aside from a break from the class day routine, recreational activities provide an opportunity for veterans to practice the new techniques they have learned in a realistic environment, and our rehabilitation instructors are always available to lend a helping hand if needed.
In addition to sports activities, the Blind Center has an extensive library of talking video’s and talking books that veterans can check-out for a relaxing evening indoors. All of these activities support camaraderie between the veterans participating in the program, a chance to share experiences and stories. Overall, the Recreation Program is a vital part of the blind rehabilitation process, and Hines Blind Rehab Staff work to keep it going strong.
VA Sponsored Events
- National Veterans Golden Age Games
- National Veterans Wheelchair Games
- National Veterans Creative Arts Festival
- National Veterans Winter Sports Clinic
- National Veterans Summer Sports Clinic
- National Veterans TEE Tournament.
Events Sponsored Through Other Organizations
- Vision Center of Excellence* - Recreation Map, provides an interactive sports and recreation map and accessible list for users to search for programs and community partners that provide programs to Veterans and Service members.
- American Blind Skiing Foundation (ABSF)* - ABSF is committed to serving visually impaired children & adults, giving them the opportunities and experiences that build confidence & independence that can last a lifetime.
- American Council of the Blind (ACB)*- The American Council of the Blind (ACB) is the nation's leading membership organization of blind and visually impaired people dedicated to promoting independence, equality, and opportunities. ACB has 51 state and regional affiliates and 20 national special interest and professional affiliates. ACB provides a list of organizations and companies that provide products or services useful for blind and visually impaired persons seeking recreational and camping opportunities.
- Disabled Sports USA* - Disabled Sports/USA is a nationwide network of community-based chapters offering a variety of recreation and competitive sports programs for individuals with disabilities.
- Operation Rebound*- The Challenged Athletes Foundation Operation Rebound provides unparalleled sports opportunities and support to our troops and Veterans of any branch of service who have suffered permanent physical injuries in the Global War on Terror.
- United States Association of Blind Athletes* - USABA works with the VA Blind Rehabilitation Center staff and local community based organizations to enhance, and in some cases develop and implement ongoing recreation and sport program opportunities for Veterans and active duty Service members of all ages in an effort to improve the overall rehabilitation program.
- United States Blind Golf Association* - The United States Blind Golf Association is organized and operated for the purposes of benefiting blind and vision-impaired persons and promoting the public good through programs that advance and increase public awareness of golf among the blind and vision-impaired throughout the United States.