Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Audiology Service Frequently Asked Questions
Hearing Devices and Assistive Technology
- How can I be seen for audiology services at Hines VA?
- How will I be scheduled for an appointment with the Audiology department?
- My VA-issued hearing aids are not working. What should I do?
- Am I eligible for VA-issued hearing aids?
- Do I have to pay for Audiology/Speech services?
If you are a veteran, you must register with Hines VA (even if you are registered at another VA facility). Once registered with Hines VA as a patient, you must be seen by a primary care physician at our facility. Your primary care physician can place a referral to our department for hearing testing.
Once your doctor has placed a consultation request to Audiology, you will be scheduled for an appointment. You will receive a letter in the mail with your appointment time and location. In some cases, you may receive a phone call from our department with a specific time and date for your visit.
1) Change the battery
2) Clean the hearing aid
If you still can’t get the aid to work, call a repair clinic facility for an appointment.
- The Hearing Aid Repair Clinic is only for VA aids that you cannot get to work: such as broken battery door, dead hearing aid, tubing change, or damaged shell.
- No programming adjustments will be made.
- A hearing health technician will see you regarding your hearing aid problem.
- For behind-the-ear (BTE) hearing aid wearers, tubing should be replaced every 6 months or when it hardens.
Hines VA Hearing Aid Repair Clinic
Days/Time: Monday – Friday, 9am – Noon, or 1pm – 3pm
Location: Hines VA Hospital, Building 228 Room 1112 Hines, IL 60141
Joliet CBOC Hearing Aid Repair Clinic
Days/Time: Thursdays 9am -Noon and 1-3:00 pm
Location: 1201 Eagle Street, Joliet, IL 60432
Kankakee CBOC Hearing Aid Repair Clinic
Days/Time: 2nd and 4th Thursdays 8am-Noon and 1-3:30pm
Location: 581 William Latham Drive, Suite 301 Bourbonnais, IL 60914
LaSalle CBOC Hearing Aid Repair Clinic
Days/Time: 1st and 3rd Fridays 9:30am-12 and 1-2 pm
Location: 4461 North Progress Village Peru, IL 61354
North Aurora CBOC Hearing Aid Repair Clinic
Days/Time: Wed: 9:15am-Noon and 1pm-3pm; 2nd and 4th Fridays 9:15-12 pm
Location: 161 S. Lincolnway Hwy (Route 31) North Aurora, IL 60542
There are several criteria to be considered before making that decision. This will be determined based on information gathered at the time of your visit.
You will have a $50 co-pay if you are not co-pay exempt at Hines VA.