Social Workers at the Hines VAMC - Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Attention A T users. To access the menus on this page please perform the following steps. 1. Please switch auto forms mode to off. 2. Hit enter to expand a main menu option (Health, Benefits, etc). 3. To enter and activate the submenu links, hit the down arrow. You will now be able to tab or arrow up or down through the submenu options to access/activate the submenu links.

Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital


Social Workers at the Hines VAMC

Social Workers at the Hines VA Medical Center is an integral part of health care. We help veterans and their families with problems associated with the stress of an illness. Social Workers are assigned to inpatient units, ambulatory care clinics, our VA Nursing Home Units, VA community based programs and other outpatient clinics and programs.

Social workers assist veterans, dependents, families, and caregivers in many ways.  Assistance includes providing culturally competent psycho-social assessment and care, abuse reporting, and community resource and referral for transportation, housing, meals and financial assistance.

Social workers help with post-hospitalization planning and ongoing assistance with health care needs.  We also provide counseling to individuals, families, and groups, as well as education about health issues, long term health care planning, end of life planning, executing Advance Directives, privacy rights, release of information, informed consent policy, conservatorship, and veteran’s benefits.

If you have questions or problems, the social worker will be able to help you or can refer you to the right person for help. Here are just some of the ways that VA social workers can help:

  • Financial or housing assistance
  • Getting help from the VA or from community agencies, such as Meals on Wheels, so you can continue to live in your own home
  • Applying for benefits from the VA, Social Security and other government and community programs
  • Arranging for respite care for your caregiver so she or he can have a break or go on vacation without worrying about who will be caring for you
  • If you are having marriage or family problems
  • If you would like help with moving to an assisted living facility, a board and care home or a nursing home.
  • If someone close to you has passed away and you want to talk about it
  • If you have problems with drinking or drug use
  • If you are a parent who feels overwhelmed with child care
  • If your parent or spouse is in failing health
  • If you are feeling stress because of your health or because your medical condition interferes with your daily activities
  • If you are feeling sad, depressed or anxious

Related Links

Contact Info


  • Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital

Contact Number(s)

  • 708-202-8387 Ext. 21843

Hours of Operation

  • Mon-Fri 8:00am-4:30pm