Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Audiology and Speech Pathology Service
The Audiology and Speech Pathology Service works collaboratively with a variety of services to provide comprehensive team-based services. We are dedicated to serving veterans who experience communication and swallowing impairments.
Audiology Clinic Location: Building 228, Room 1112, Phone (708) 202-2298, Fax (708) 202-5260
Speech Pathology Clinic, Building 12, 3rd floor Phone (708) 202-8387 X21012, Fax (708) 202-3942
Audiologists provide comprehensive hearing evaluations as well as balance and vestibular evaluations on both an outpatient and inpatient basis. Treatment includes provision of hearing aids and assistive devices as needed. Veterans with a variety of hearing difficulties are served, including those with noise-induced hearing loss, age-related hearing loss, tinnitus, central auditory processing disorders, and those with external, middle, and inner ear disease.
Diagnostic and Treatment services offered:
- Adult central auditory processing testing
- Advanced digital hearing aids
- Comprehensive audiologic evaluations
- Electrophysiologic testing (ABR, OAE’s)
- FM technology
- Hearing Devices and Assistive Technology
- Tinnitus evaluation and therapy
- Vestibular (balance) evaluation
The Speech-Language Pathologists at Hines specialize in polytrauma and traumatic brain injury; head and neck cancer; neurological disorders; spinal cord injury; acute and post-acute rehab; tracheostomy and ventilator dependence; oncology; and long-term care. Our patients are cared for in the emergency room; inpatient and outpatient settings; specialty clinics; and through telehealth services.
We offer evaluation and treatment for a broad range of communication and swallowing disorders, along with patient and family education.
Educational Treatment Groups
- Communication Group – A group for all individuals who have difficulty communicating on any level; meets every other Thursday at 1:00pm in the Speech Pathology Clinic.
- ALS Support Group – A supportive and educational group for individuals who suffer from ALS; meets the 2nd & 4th Tuesdays of the month at 1:00pm in the Speech Pathology Clinic.
- Voice Transitions; A Transgender Voice Group- A supportive and educational group for transgendered individuals; meets the 4th Monday of the month at 1:00pm in the Speech Pathology Clinic.
Audiology and Speech Pathology Links
Other Helpful Links
- American Academy of Audiology *
- American Speech-Language-Hearing Association *
- Hearing Loss Association of America *
- Association of Late-Deafened Adults *
- American Tinnitus Association *
* By clicking on these links, you will leave the Department of Veterans Affairs website. VA does not endorse and is not responsible for the content of the linked website.
Back to Rehabilitation Services homepage
- Building 228, Room 1112
Hours of Operation
Hearing Aid Repair Clinic
Mon-Fri 7:30 a.m.- 4:00p.m.