Memorial Day Observances
As Memorial Day approaches it’s important to understand why we pause to remember our fallen service members. Memorial Day, which is May 28, represents a day of national awareness and reverence, honoring Americans who died while defending the nation and its values.
Memorial Day not only recognizes those who gave their lives, but the observance reminds us all to remain committed to selfless service. We place flags at the gravesites of our men and women who fought to defend our freedom. We give back to our community through volunteerism and respect.
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. famously wrote, “In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends.” These words stand the test of time and remind us all how we can pay tribute to our fallen heroes.
Hines VA has compiled a list of local events and observances to honor those service members, family and friends who sacrificed so much for us all.
Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery
Abraham Lincoln National Cemetery 20953 West Hoff Road Elwood, IL 60421 Ceremony: May 28 at 11:00 a.m
- Berwyn Township Offices at Lesak Park 6600 W. 26th St, 11:00 a.m.
- Berwyn City Hall 6700 W. 26th St, 11:15 a.m.
- Mount Auburn Cemetery, 4101 S. Oak Park, Stickney, IL, Noon
- *Additional details can be found here.
- The Naperville Memorial Day Parade will step off at 10:30 a.m. on Mon., May 28, following the route west from Mill Street along Jackson Avenue, north up Washington Street to Benton Avenue and into Central Park. Following the Parade, a 30-minute observance begins at 12:15 p.m. May 28 at the Naperville Community Concert Center in Central Park. Additional information about the Naperville observance can be found here.
River ForestThe River Forest Service Club, River Forest Parks Foundation, River Forest Park District, and the Village of River Forest are proud sponsors of the 93rd Annual Memorial Day Parade! The Parade begins at 9:30 a.m. traveling from Constitution Park, south on Ashland Avenue to Lake Street, then west to Keystone Park, and will finish with a FREE hotdog lunch.
Riverside CeremonyThe morning ceremony will be held at St Mary's Parish Center, 126 Herrick Road, Riverside IL 60546 beginning at 10 a.m. The afternoon Program at 1:00 p.m. in Guthrie Park at the "Gold Star Memorial Flagpole" will include placing the Navy Wreath in the Des Plaines River in Honor of All American Veterans "Killed In Action" and Buried at Sea.
Village of Stickney
A light lunch will be served at the American Legion Post following the ceremony. Event details can be found here.
The Stickney American Legion Post and local officials will hold its ceremony on May 28, at Veterans Memorial Park, 3900 Ridgeland Ave., at 11:00 a.m.
Events & Classes
No events or classes are currently scheduled.