Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Hines VA libraries: Get help navigating your VA an
Hines VA libraries: Get help navigating your VA and medical resources
By Matthew Moeller
You won't find the latest bestsellers lining these shelves, but Veterans and staff checking out Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital's two libraries can find resources to answer their medical questions and round out their summer reading lists.
Located in Building One, the Patient Health and Wellness Library offers Veterans a variety of research services tailored to their personal health needs. Next door, the Medical Library provides Hines VA staff scholarly works to assist in patient care, according to Marielle McNeal, Supervisory Medical Librarian.
Patient Health and Wellness Library ─ Bldg. 1, Rooms F145
"Veterans will come into the Patient Health and Wellness Library wanting to find information about their health or condition. I connect them to information in order to make more informed decisions," McNeal said. "For example, if a Veteran comes in with a cancer diagnosis, I connect them with what are the different treatment options and easy-to-understand resources about the particular health condition."
According to McNeal, Patient Health and Wellness Library resources are available to Veterans receiving care at Hines, as well as their spouses and caregivers. Services include:
- Help navigating easy-to-understand health and wellness information
- Assistance finding VA support groups and services
- Navigating MyHealtheVet resources
- Access to the business center ─ computers, scanner, printer and photocopier (not available virtually)
Medical Library ─ Bldg. 1, Room F155
"As a librarian, I have an education background in library and information resources," McNeal said. "So, I am able to help employees search for information in order to make evidence-based informed practice decisions when it comes to healthcare."
According to McNeal, Medical Library staff resources include:
- On-site and remote access to the library resources portal https://liblynxgateway.com/va/at/hin
- Interlibrary loan, where employees can request articles from other medical libraries
- Literature searches to locate relevant research and information
- Individual Research Consultations
- Group instruction and training for departments, services or programs regarding search strategies and library resources
Although currently closed for in-person visits, Hines' two libraries hope to reopen in the summer of 2021. Veterans and staff can still access library resources virtually by emailing HinesLibrary@va.gov or through the libraries' resources portal: https://liblynxgateway.com/va/at/hin.
To speak directly to library staff, contact:
- Medical Library: 708-202-8357, Ext. 28222
- Patient Health and Wellness Library: 708-202-8357, Ext. 24154
- Marielle McNeal, Supervisory Medical Librarian: 708-202-8357, Ext. 27725