Edward Hines, Jr. VA Hospital
Volunteer or Donate
Edward Hines Jr., VA Hospital provides many services to the Veterans in the region. Through the generosity of our benefactors and volunteers we are able to supplement these services and increase the quality of care to America’s heroes.
Volunteers are an integral part of the health care system provided by the Department of Veterans Affairs. They are a valuable supplemental addition to the staff and are considered “without compensation” (WOC) employees of the hospital. Hines Voluntary Service manages both volunteers and the hospital donation program.
At A Glance
- Over 1000 regularly scheduled volunteers assist patients and staff annually
- Volunteers donate over 120,000 hours of service per year
- Areas of the hospital to benefit from volunteers include: nursing, ambulatory care clinics, information desks, chaplain service, nutrition and food service, social work, prosthetics service, the blind rehabilitation service, recreation therapy, and many more!
- Over $1 million in monetary and non-monetary donations are received each year from individuals, groups, service organizations, and corporate sponsors
- Voluntary Service receives and acknowledges all donations and is responsible for the management and distribution of all goods and funds.
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the hospital and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, with their talents closely matched with one of our many assignments.
Prior to volunteering, interested persons must:
- Be 18 years old (a youth program for children 12-17 is provided during the summer months only)
- Undergo a background/fingerprint screening
- Receive a TB test
- Complete an application and attend orientation
Voluntary Service does not oversee internships, students seeking academic credit, or individuals seeking to observe/shadow medical personnel.
For more information about volunteering, please call 708-202-2523. You may download the volunteer application packet (see below), or pick one up in the office (Building 9):
Groups interested in providing service at Hines should complete the Group Application and return it to the Voluntary Service office.
Monetary and non-monetary donations are used for the comfort and welfare of our Veterans. Just as the gift of time from a volunteer is needed, non-monetary items such as personal care items are also appreciated. Our list of needs changes frequently, so please contact us to discuss accepted donations. Voluntary Service is responsible for providing safe and clean donations to our Veterans. Items that do not meet these criteria will be refused.
Comfort Items we are currently accepting can be found here: Comfort Items Needs List
Monetary donations are essential in providing supplemental services to our Veterans at Hines. Donated funds may be deposited in our General Purpose Account, or may be specified for a particular area:
- Blind Rehabilitation
- DuPage Veteran Center
- Extended Care Center
- Fisher House
- Hines Sports Committee
- Homeless Program
- Nutrition and Food Service
- Oak Park Veteran Center
- Orland Park Veteran Center
- Recreation Therapy
- Returning Combat Veterans
- Spinal Cord Injury & Disorders
- Visual Impairment Services
- Voluntary Service Executive Committee
- Women Veterans Program
|Monetary donations may be dropped off in our office or sent to:|
|Edward Hines Jr., VA Hospital
Voluntary Service (135)
5000 South 5th Avenue
Hines, IL 60141
Online donations are accepted through:
|This option is a safe, simple way to pledge your support to our Veterans.|
5000 South 5th Avenue
Hines, IL 60141